21 January 2006

My House - in the Middle of My Street

Check it out, y'all, another post already... Several people have been asking me to put up photos of my house so you can see how I’m living over here in my third-world country. And yes, it is MY third-world country. And it will continue to be so right up until someone comes over here to visit me. Then it will be OUR third-world country :-)

First a disclaimer: This is one of about twenty houses of this caliber in Cuamba… Ironically, it’s nicer than anywhere I’ve ever lived before. The people I’m working with have dirt floors and grass roofs that blow away in a strong wind. They almost never have electricity and usually have to walk a considerable distance to fill a water jug each day. Without even considering the rest of the house, they think I’m rich just because I have a refrigerator. Seriously.

So needless to say, I feel a bit ashamed each time I walk in the door – and I feel like this is a barrier between me and the people I’m here to work with. I didn’t choose this house, and I wouldn’t have, but that doesn’t mean I’m not grateful for it. I am extremely grateful that this place has been provided for me. I’m also extremely grateful that 90% of my ministry takes place away from my home here so that people don’t see how much nicer my things are than theirs…


Okay, all that aside, first here is a pic of my apartment in Nampula where I lived for my first three months while studying Portuguese. The orange Volkswagen was a permanent fixture - apparently it hasn’t moved in a long time because I could use it to give directions. “Yeah, I live in that part of town, right behind the orange VW.” My apartment was the one with the lovely teal colored exterior on the bottom floor – right behind the car. A word to the wise: if you ever live in a third-world country, don’t live in an apartment on the ground floor. Beggars were constantly coming right up to the window. They’d just stand there for a while, looking in, and then they’d ask for money. I gave them food, and they usually walked away disappointed.

And here is a shot of my new house in Cuamba. The owner just renovated the entire place, so everything is new. Of course, that doesn’t mean that everything works, it just means that it all looks nice. This next one is my monster-truck-of-a-Toyota. I get complimented on the size of the wheels all the time… it turns some heads as I’m cruising the strip, let me tell ya. The majority of my work takes place out in the countryside where there aren’t really roads, so most of what I do would be called “muddin’” if you lived in Kentucky. I must admit that I have a good time with it, but all in the line of duty…

And here we’re entering my front door. Notice the microwave on the nicely tiled floor there, that’s because at the time of the photo I only had power on one side of the house (a whole other story). That’s my bedroom straight ahead, with my only collared shirt hanging to keep it wrinkle-free. And next is my living/dining room. That’s my water filter sitting on the table. Check out the table cloth, eh? I’ve never used one of those in my own house before, but I thought I’d try living the high life.

Here’s my hallway, nothing too exciting about it, but it’s funny to me that I have my fridge in the hall because my kitchen only has enough room to turn around (barely). And next we come to my water retention system. Remember how I said that new things don’t necessarily mean working things? Well, the house has pipes, but we haven’t been able to get water into those lovely pipes just yet, so I have my guards (I’ll get to them in a minute) fill the wash basin behind the house whenever the city water is running, and then I take buckets of water into the house from there.

And finally, I want to show you all the trees around my house. They very rarely plant a tree here that won’t produce something edible, so I’ve got all kinds of fruit trees in my yard. These are some papaya trees; I’ve also got mango trees, some type of pear, and several that I’m not familiar with. On a normal day I eat three to four different types of fruit, so no worries about me getting scurvy. Wasn’t that what sailors used to get because they couldn’t get fresh fruit? I read a magazine article in college about a guy who tried to live on a diet of Skittles instead of fruit, and he got scurvy… but I guess that’s a bit off topic…

So yeah, I’ve got guards for the house because I’m gone so often. I also broke down and got a house worker. The local Mozambicans really look at us poorly if we don’t employ a few people. They see us with nice houses and cars, and if we don’t contribute at all to the local economy then they think we’re stingy. Which I am, but I think they’re right on this, so I’m employing two guards and a guy to help me in the house for a couple hours a day. He doesn’t really do much, and he’s not a very good cook, but it’s nice to not wash my own dishes any more… I tried to pick guys with a lot of kids - between these three men they have sixteen children.

And that’s my house. It wasn’t what I expected, so I doubt it’s what any of you expected either, but it’s a place to hang my hat… Maybe I’ll take a stroll through town to show you around sometime in the near future-

13 Comments:

At Sat Jan 21, 01:54:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the post on the house. I felt like i was taking a virtual tour...It looks very nice! I never thought i'd see the day that you were driving a truck..:) But how humbling that they've provided such a nice house and vehicle for you!!
I love you!
Sara

 
At Sat Jan 21, 06:50:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NTG,

Thanks for the tour of your crib! :)) What a gift to you. I'm happy you're able to employ people and improve their lives. I'm sure it gives them a great sense of pride to have a job and provide for their family. This is something they will pass on to their children...
You need the truck to reach remote areas, again you're providing hope for a better life. These gifts are provided to you because your mission is very important. You'll reach more people in your truck, than on foot or bike. I'm still stuck on the tablecloth.......
How yummy to have such a fruit selection outside your front door.

Thanks again for the tour of your world.

Take care, you're in our thoughts and prayers.

Love,
AS
PS I ordered some GS cookies for you!

 
At Sat Jan 21, 07:37:00 PM EST, Blogger amy said...

awesome....thanks so much for giving us a little glimpse into your world.....i almost had a heart attack when i came and there was already a new post!!! yay (:

 
At Mon Jan 23, 11:21:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update Nate, and the muddin comment and Kentucky which is true but I hear that in Texas also. I enjoy seeing your updates as it helps me to prepare for Cuamba. So take care and see you soon!

 
At Tue Jan 24, 04:11:00 PM EST, Blogger Kari said...

Yes...muddin'!! Thanks for the Kentucky shout-out. I know you only lived there a year, but it made a lasting impression on you didn't it? Ah...'My Old Kentucky Home' :) I'm glad you seem to be doing ok Nate out in the 'bush'. I try to keep up with everyone's blog from jman retreat. Hope you're not too lonely...you don't have teammates out there do you? Will be praying for you.

 
At Sun Jan 29, 12:39:00 AM EST, Blogger nate & jenni said...

Yeah, my mother corrected me on the scurvy deal when I talked to her the other day, thanks for the info...

And as for getting the fruit down, I've rigged up a ~25ft contraption with several bamboo poles tied together. So I poke the fruit until it falls and then I jump out of the way so I don't catch one on the noggin... my cat-like reflexes come in handy.

 
At Mon Jan 30, 03:24:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am amazed at the luxury you are able to now live in. In my opinion, although it may not mean much, I think it will be even more of an impact on the people you are serving that you don't stay secluded in your lovely home, but you enjoy spending time with them in their homes. To me it's like, I would love to take a tour one day of the White House, but it would be so much more meaningful and memorable if the President chose to come to spend time in my home. I feel certain that you will find some young people in the area to hang out with. I hope you realize what a blessing you are, not just to the people of Mozambique, but to us here. Take care of yourself. God Bless!
Courtney

 
At Mon Jan 30, 04:18:00 PM EST, Blogger A. Victoria said...

It sounds like things are going well and that you are learning lots. Praise the Lord. :) I am glad to hear that you doing well!

We are praying for you. Please continue to keep us posted.

A

 
At Wed Feb 01, 06:37:00 PM EST, Blogger strunny said...

that was a neat tour! i don't even know you but i see your comments/blog via amy...but hi, anyway.
have you always been a missionary or what is going on with this, and how do you & amy know each other? you are one of those people that i would instantly ask, what is your story, the first time i met you i think. some other day i guess. shine on in africa. :)

 
At Mon Feb 06, 11:15:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NTG

In sporting news:

SuperBowl XL, in Detroit, at Ford Field


Pittsburg Steelers 21
Seattle Seahawks 10

Aaron Neville and Aretha Franklin sang the national anthem and the Rolling Stones were the half time entertainment. (Safe with no wardrobe malfunctions) The commercials were good but nothing really outstanding.

Take care, you're in our thoughts and prayers.

AS

 
At Tue Feb 07, 12:28:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nate,
tell me about Cuamba? How did u get those links added to your blogspot?

 
At Thu Feb 09, 12:16:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nate,
man I am on my way and arriving no later than August 4th in Mocambique, so see ya soon!

 
At Sat Feb 11, 12:07:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Nate,
I hope you are doing well. Well, tonight was the opening ceremony of the winter olymics, and I couldn't help but think of you during the parade of nations. Not only was I looking to see if Mozambique was going to be one of the few African contries present at the winter olympics, but each nation walked in with random 1980's music playing over head. Well, actually 70's and 80's. I think the US walked in to Freedom. How appropriate, right? Your current country of inhabitance was represented though. I woman who, I believe, if I hear correctly won a gold metal, was from Mozambique, and helped to carry in the Olympic flag. Along with her was Sophia Loren, who is now like 72 years old, and still looks much better than most women half of her age. I just thought you might find some amusement about the music especially. And, I hope it isn't in poor taste to ask a missionary for prayer, but I started looking for jobs online in the Omaha area, so if you could just pray for a little guidance for me. We still haven't sold the house yet, but I can start work up there before we find a new house. I have had this strange and joyous feeling the past few weeks when praying for you, so either there are amazing things happening for you in Mozambique already, or God is just letting me in a little early on things to come. So, keep me posted. I know I don't post much on your blog, but I really am enjoying reading everything, most of it multiple times. This is so what God has had in mind for you all your life. Oh, and one more question, How are the rest areas over there? I guess you don't have to deal with the truckers like we did. Keep safe. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Much love.
Courtney

 

Post a Comment

<< Home