06 November 2005

African Punctuality

So I preached today for the second time in Portuguese. It was much easier than the last time – I only needed about 1/4 of the preparation time. And I feel like it went even better. I sat down with some of the church leaders afterwards and asked them what they thought and they told me I had communicated pretty well. I asked them what they got out of it, and they started discussing some of the things I was actually hoping/praying that they would be able to apply in their lives.

It’s a funny thing really – I don’t normally like speaking in front of large groups of people. I can do it, but I get nervous and my voice usually gets all shaky and stuff. But it’s different in Portuguese. I think that I’m forced to concentrate so hard on what I’m saying that my mind doesn’t have a chance to be preoccupied with anything else. And maybe there’s a little help from above… ;-)

Oh, and get this: my pasty white skin apparently passes as a seminary degree. They were all calling me “Pastor Natan” (they can’t pronounce the “th” sound). Who needs to go to college for six years when you can just go to a third-world country and have a degree bestowed upon you? That’s what I’m talking about…

And of course, after church they brought out the food. It breaks my heart to see what they do for us around here. They look upon it as such an honor to have us there that they’ll prepare more food than the average family eats in a week. And that’s just in quantity. The things they prepare, most families probably don’t even eat once a month. Chicken, goat and eggs are definitely luxury items in Mozambique, yet they’ll do everything possible to prepare all three and more if they have any means possible. And then they’ll be insulted if I don’t eat more than everyone else. I feel terrible every time I have to deal with it, but I’ve come to realize that I’ll make them much happier by eating what they’ve made me than they would be by eating it themselves… It’s pretty different from our selfish American culture, huh? They just want to watch me enjoy it…


I noticed something else today that really gave me a glimpse into the Mozambiquan mindset. I’ve been learning Portuguese because it’s the trade language of the country, but most people don’t speak it, or at least not well. It was imposed on them when the Portuguese colonized the country, and everyone prefers to speak Makhuwa, the local language.

So while I was preaching, there was a guy translating from Portuguese into Makhuwa so everyone could understand well. What I noticed is that there are certain words that they don’t have in the Makhuwa language, and so they use the Portuguese ones. Kind of like the word email. Pretty much every language just calls it email (except, of course, the French) because it’s a new word that no other language had a concept of before email came to be.

What I thought was interesting is that the words for hour, week, month, etc don’t exist in the Makhuwa language. Which shows that the concept of time, other than the passing of a day, is foreign to the African frame of thought. It is a concept that obviously didn’t exist before the Europeans came and imposed it on them. Africans are late to EVERYTHING, and nothing starts or ends on time. It’s frustrating to a lot of people (I get a kick out of it) but I finally understand why.

I’m including some photos here from a hike that I went on yesterday. This place is about a half-hour drive from the city of Nampula (where I’m living for now) and is a good example of the rocky landscape around here.

Most of the land is flat, with these groupings of rocky areas.

This is a rare Mozambiquan scene with water in it. There’s actually a small damn up ahead, otherwise this water probably wouldn’t be there.

Another rare photo - for Mozambique anyway. Not many cows around here. It was funny, even the cows were staring at us because we’re white. A game of “Hey Cow” would be pretty easy around here…

Doesn’t this look kind of like Pride Rock? I really think the Lion King was based on the Mozambiquan landscape. I love this photo and I thought it would be a good one to end on. Until next time-

7 Comments:

At Mon Nov 07, 04:31:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Nate!
How sweet it is to be able to communicate now in Portuguese and with less effort:) So...How hard is the Makhuwa language to learn now:-?
It's unbelievable how they honor you with foods, respect & personal sacrifices!...and even the cows are impressed...
As always, awesome pictures and cultural lessons that you share!! What a joy to be a part of such experiences!
Talk to you soon!
^^ M,D,& Co.

 
At Mon Nov 07, 05:11:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NTG
Hakuna Matata!
I had two experts look at your picture and you have found Pride Rock. Pictures of Simba, Nala, Timon, Pumbaa are missing they pointed out. Also be on the look out for Rafiki (the wise baboon with mystical powers) because he can help you if you're lost. (Gotta love those experts!)

It's amazing how food is the center of all cultures. We share a meal with friends and family and we celebrate each other. Enjoy the honor and make a few American dishes for them if possible. I might suggest boiled chicken :))))

I must say you're in the right family regarding the time issue. God prepares us, for the world before us.

Your new world looks simply beautiful. You seem to be reaching the community, even with your white skin, Pastor Natan.

Take care, love,
AS

 
At Tue Nov 08, 11:33:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nate,
We love reading about your adventures. Uncle Dan is doing well with his chemotherapy treatment. He isn't working anymore so we take off up north and enjoy his good days. Our family is growing. Eric and Jen are expecting their third in June. We are proud of you. God bless, Love Aunt Lucy and Uncle Dan

 
At Tue Nov 08, 12:37:00 PM EST, Blogger amy said...

i agree with auntie laurie 100% - i'm working on a way to send you some christmas cookies - pack & mail plus says they ship food anywhere but i have to check on how good they would still taste once they got to you!!!

 
At Wed Nov 09, 11:19:00 AM EST, Blogger nate & jenni said...

Yeah, AS, I hadn’t thought of it that way, but being in Africa is a lot like being at one continual Heintzleman reunion… you’d love it here :-)

Thanks for the input of those “Lion King experts” – tell them I miss them, and I’ve actually got a photo of Simba in my previous post from when I was in Johannesburg. I have photos of Timone and Pumba as well, but I haven’t put them on display yet. Maybe I’ll get together a Lion King post just for the girls…

And for the record, you all rock. I can’t even tell you how encouraging it is for me to read your comments. I’m blessed to have such wonderful friends and family. Thank you-

 
At Fri Nov 11, 02:59:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Nate!
That is so great that they recieved the message you prayed they would!! I knew that it would go well! It is really amazing to see how you are being guided!
The pictures are great! it really does look like the lion king! And it does look like a great place to play "hey cow", but of course if i were there, i would beat you like i did before!!
I love you lots!!
Sara

P.S. did you get my emails??

 
At Sun Jan 29, 09:54:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Senor Nate,
I think about the driving in Peru like you do in Africa. The experieinces you have will be remembered for the rest of your life. That is, unless you choose to carry on which is a nice option as well.

I love you cultural evaluations,,,you are almost an anthropologist....

Were praying for you...

Uncle Mark

 

Post a Comment

<< Home