23 November 2005

Cultural Quirks

Okay, well I’ll be moving to Cuamba at the end of the week here – the day after Thanksgiving, actually. This is the small town where I’ll be living for the remainder of my time here in Mozambique. It’s been great to have these past several months to focus on the language, but I’m definitely excited and ready to get out there and be about the work that I came here to do. Please keep me in your prayers as I’m adjusting once again (I feel like a nomad sometimes…) and making new friendships and partnerships with the people I’ll be living and working around for the next 18 months.

One downside about being over there is that it’s much more remote and I really have no idea how often I’ll be able to update my blog from here on out. As of today, my house doesn’t even have a phone line (hopefully I’ll have one before long); and the nearest internet café will be four hours away in Malawi… When I can get online, I’m sure I’ll be mostly focused on emailing, but I will try my best to post updates here as often as I’m able. So please do continue to check in from time to time…

And to keep your interest for the time being, I’m posting twelve small stories and cultural quirks that I’ve noticed since I’ve been here. You may want to pace yourself, and just read a couple each week so you can feel like I’m still posting new information… And of course, comments are always welcome-

Mata bicu
If you know me very well, you know that breakfast is, hands down, my favorite meal of the day. A friend in Houston once made the statement that I’m not only a big fan of breakfast, but I’m a big fan of a big breakfast. One thing I thought was really cool about Portuguese (or at least Mozambiquan Portuguese) is that the word for breakfast is “matabicu”. It literally means “kill the bug”. As in, "I’ve got to get up and kill the bug that’s inside me and making me hungry". It fits into my ideology very well, so I thought I’d share it.

Flowers
I don’t think this is the case for all African countries, but it definitely is for Mozambique. There aren’t many flowers around here. Not much water, and I don’t think I’ve seen a wild flower the whole time I’ve been here… My language tutor and I were talking about cultural things one day and he mentioned that people don’t really like flowers. I asked why, and explained that it’s a nice complement to receive them in the States. He said, “No, no, no. You must never give someone flowers unless you wish to insult them. If you want to complement someone, give them some potatoes or some corn meal.”

He explained to me that flowers have no practical purpose. You can’t eat them, you can’t plant them to grow more and sell them (though nobody would buy them anyway), they’re purely decorational (kind of like throw pillows…?). They view it as an insult because you’re giving them something they can’t use. This is the viewpoint of a Mozambiquan – pretty though it may be, we have no use for it unless it will help us get through the day.

Good Smells, Bad Smells
You know how you can always smell the stinky guy on the bus? Well I’ve come to realize that I’ve always been able to smell the stinky guy because I was used to everyone smelling pretty good in general.

Well over here it’s the opposite. I’ve grown so accustomed to smelling BO and other not-so-pleasant things that I’ve really started noticing whenever someone or something smells nice. Men’s cologne, women’s perfume, air fresheners, candles - anything with a scent. When I meet someone who smells good, I just want to keep hanging out with them. I found myself not wanting to leave a bathroom the other day because it smelled so good…

Feel Like a Bike Ride?
Obviously most Mozambiquans don’t own cars, but there are still some pretty massive distances that they need to travel to get from their farms to the markets or to visit family and friends. The transportation of choice for mid-distance travel is the bicycle. You can buy a new bike for around $40-50, which is about a month’s salary for people with a good job. The most usual sight is one guy on a bike (women almost never ride them) with a big load of charcoal, hay, or something else to sell on the back. I’ve seen loads up to probably around 250 pounds on the back of a bike.

The second most common sight is nicely demonstrated in the photo here. If you can’t tell, I’m sitting on the bar that connects the seat to the steering wheel. It’s not the most comfortable ride for the passenger, especially when you’re twice the size of the guy pedaling (that’s Luis, my language tutor, driving – and he’s all of ~4’10”). , but it will get you where you’re going. We were going to visit a friend, and he got all excited to take me there on his bike. We actually fell down in the middle of the street before we got going, because I didn’t know how to sit on it properly – I’d never ridden side-saddle on a bicycle before…

I’ve actually seen up to four people riding on the same bike. One person behind the driver, one on the bar in front, where I was, and sometimes another on the handlebars. I don’t know how they can actually get going, and I always feel sorry for the poor bum doing all the pedaling…

Africa Clean
I know that at least some of you know what “camping clean” means. Basically, there are different levels of cleanliness, and the rules that apply when you’re at home don’t hold when you’re out camping somewhere. For instance, when you’re done eating your dinner at home you might wash the dish out in the sink and let it dry. When you’re camping you might not have any soap, and the only water is from the river, and you can’t let it set there wet, so you dry it with the shirt you’ve been wearing all day. It’s not perfect, but it’s “camping clean”.

Well, here we have a little something called “Africa clean.” It’s the next step beyond “camping clean” and there are two main ways that I see it being different. First, one has to accept that everything at every time will be dirty. As soon as something is cleaned, it becomes dirty merely by being here. There is dust in the air constantly and the smart ones of us (I think) have accepted the inevitable and just stopped cleaning :-)

The second difference is that you need to become one with your surroundings. This doesn’t mean some funky meditation; it means that you accept the fact that your house isn’t just your house. God, in His wisdom, placed all sorts of creeping and crawling things on the planet with us and “Africa clean” means that they’re welcome any time they choose to drop by, without risk of being smashed. Note here that this does NOT apply to cockroaches - that’s a different level of clean that I haven’t reached yet. But small lizards and most insects are accepted as the norm. There are some battles that aren’t worth fighting, and keeping bugs out of an African house is one of them I think…

The Rhythm is in the Blood
Yeah, so most people know that white people in general don’t have an ounce of rhythm (my uncle Bill is a good example of this :-), and everyone always says that black people do. Well, I think I agree on both counts. I’ve seen some pretty spectacular dance moves coming from some pretty young Mozambiquans and I don’t think it can be anything but natural skill.

They sing songs and just each do their own thing – but it all sounds good. They start playing drums and tambourines, and it all flows. This little guy in the photo just walked up to this drum and started playing. And even though he couldn’t see the top of it, he beat a pretty good rhythm. Maybe it’s something in the water. Of course, I’ll get sick if I drink the water without a filter, so I’m at a crossroads… To be healthy, but painfully white… or to be sick, but with African rhythm? I’m still pondering this one…

Patron
One thing that has really struck me about the culture here is the absolute dependency that everyone has on everyone else. Coming from our independent American culture, it’s weird to see the “community living” that they practice here, where everyone lives interdependently. It’s neat sometimes because when a crisis arises, a person’s neighbors and family often pool their resources to help out the unfortunate one.

But I think it’s taken to an extreme in a lot of cases. The goal of many people seems to be to attach themselves to someone who makes a decent living and just be dependant on them for the rest of their lives. They call this person who provides for them their “patron.” Everyone calls us white people patron when they want something. There’s a guy in my neighborhood who asked me if I would be his “patron, mother, father and brother.” He was absolutely serious; he wanted to come with me to Cuamba. I mean come on, I went to college, and I know what it’s like to mooch off of other people, but this guy is older than I am. And he really wanted me to provide for him in every way - it makes me sad.

White People Don’t Work
I got the explanation the other day about why nobody will let me do anything to help them. I was talking to this guy about how I go to help people move stuff here, but they’ll only let me drive and I’m not allowed to actually move anything.

He told me it’s because the Mozambiquans don’t think that we can do any manual labor. He said, “All we ever see you doing is driving, writing, or talking. So I’m afraid that if I let you pick something up at my house, you’ll hurt yourself because you don’t know how to pick it up properly. And then I’ll get in trouble because I hurt the white guy.”

There you go; they don’t think I’m sickly because of my skin color. They can only go by what they’ve seen, and in all fairness I have to agree with the guy that I’ve never seen a white guy working in this country either. Should I try to break the stereotype, or just allow the kids (KIDS even think they need to help me!) at the market to carry my two-pound bag of rice so that I don’t strain myself in my ignorance? I’m torn between the options… so many things here just crack me up.

Third-World Driving Skills
Have you ever played a car-driving game at an arcade? If so, you have some experience driving in a third-world country. Seriously. Driving here is absolutely without rules: lines on the road don’t hold any meaning; they can’t check car speeds, so there are effectively no speed limits; and I haven’t seen a single stop sign, only yields.

It involves dodging other cars (and taxi busses, which are harder to avoid because they’re always swerving and stopping), motorcycles, bicycles, adults and children, goats, chickens and the occasional person sleeping in the road.

You can stop at any time, you can pass at any time, and you need to swerve at every time in order to avoid potholes. I really feel like I’m in a video game every time I get behind the wheel. My brother would love it, and he’d fit right in.

Need to go to the Hospital?
I took my supervisor to the hospital today – she’s fine, just had an ear problem – and I got the inside view of how things work here. The sanitation of the hospital was something to behold, let me tell you.

So my supervisor had to get a packing put in her ear to combat an infection or something, I don’t really know what it was all about. The doctor was going to use a pair of tweezers to insert the packing, and he made sure to soak them in a solution that I’m assuming was to disinfect them (though it may have just been water). He then proceeded to rip off a piece of cotton and place it in the bare hand of his assistant along with some ointment. And THEN he asked his assistant to squish the ointment into the cotton by wadding it up in his hand. Naturally, the next step was to pick up the cotton with the sterilized tweezers and put it into my supervisor’s ear. I was hard pressed to keep from cracking up, but I knew my boss wouldn’t appreciate it.

So yeah, if anything happens to me here, don’t worry – I’ll be well taken care of :-)

Hiking Anyone?
So I went hiking the other day, and when I got home I started talking to a guy who works in the area. We were talking about how we’d each spent the day, and I realized that I couldn’t think of the word for hiking. So I tried explaining it to him as, “Just going out to the countryside to walk and look around, or climbing up a mountain just to see the scenery.”

He didn’t get it, his response was, “Oh, you mean passing through the countryside on your way to somewhere. Or going out there to do some work, maybe you need some wood?”

I said, “No, I just went out there to look around. Not to work or to visit people, just to spend time enjoying what God has given us.”

He still didn’t get it. Then I realized that of course he wouldn’t get it. To go out to the countryside for them is an all-day journey in itself. They don’t have cars, and they wouldn’t go out there unless they needed something specific. He has no concept of hiking because he’s never been; and he likely never will be just “walking through the wilderness to look around.” What purpose would it serve?

Lights Off, Lights On
We have pretty frequent power loss here, almost daily in my neighborhood. One thing I love about it is that every time the power goes off and it’s dark outside, every single kid in the neighborhood yells at the same time. And they do the same when it comes back on. It cracks me up every time I hear it. Lights off: “Aaaaiiiiiiieeeeeeee!” Two hours later, lights on: “Aaaaaiiiiiiiiiieeeeeee!”

27 Comments:

At Wed Nov 23, 10:13:00 AM EST, Blogger amy said...

i love the big fan of a big breakfast comment...i think the last meal i ate with you was breakfast at the broken egg in AA and yes, yours was certainly huge!!!!

 
At Wed Nov 23, 10:17:00 AM EST, Blogger amy said...

ok im now on the africa clean story and you can imagine how well i would do in africa...i mean i thought the good/bad smells post disqualified me from ever going there since i think "heat" smells bad when it is first turned on....but the whole africa clean thing....with the bugs...YIKES!!!!

 
At Wed Nov 23, 10:21:00 AM EST, Blogger amy said...

those were such awesome stories and you told them really well. i was going to try to pace myself and save them but i couldn't do it! i pray god will bless you as you move to the next step and hope to see another post soon! love & prayers....

 
At Thu Nov 24, 03:29:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NTG
We will wish you a Happy Thanksgiving and a early Happy Birthday today. Your stories of Africa really give us a picture of you new life. Each one we can relate to here in the states. I would miss the flowers but see their point. UB would still dance and not care that they would have all the moves. He would just enjoy the moment. The bugs and smells...welcome to Houston. And of course the whole hiking thing...gotta agree with them again. Your post regarding the hospital...I'd check out the village medicine man. His knowledge of local herbs and customs, your chances might be better. It sounds like you're really making the adjustment well and other than being able to impress them with your strength, it sounds like they think you'd be a great provider (Patron) for the family. I will miss the frequent posts (of course)but I'm excited for the next part of your journey.
I really hope you're keeping a daily journal. Take care of yourself. Share your love and joy, and at every opportunity; dance. It's good for the soul.

We miss you, we send you lots of prayers, hugs and kisses. From time to time check out the moon.

Love,
AS,UB, Hannah and Shannon and Sage

 
At Fri Nov 25, 03:54:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Nate - Hopefully you had a good meal with fellow missionaries there, like you thought. We're soooo happy to see all the stories and pictures - you've been busy with the info update this time:)
We LOVE all the cultural lessons shared here and your special slant on story telling is awesome! I vote for the water treatment and forget the rhythym & moves for now....you can pick up the dance styles later, you're a quick learner:-]
Hopefully the move is going well, and your phone line is connected when you arrive. Take care, enjoy the next phase of your adventure, and we look forward to your future updates, whenever they may be... Until then, Happy Trails to You... and Happy Birthday a few days early!! We love you lots! ^^M,D & Co.
V

 
At Sat Nov 26, 03:41:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nate,
I'm Kim, Carol's sister, and just wanted to tell you that I have really enjoyed reading your blogs and comparing them to things she has also experienced. Hope your move goes smoothly and they'll finally let you help!

 
At Wed Nov 30, 04:47:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I know that this is late but Happy Thanksgiving. I really enjoy your blogs. They are really funny and you tell the stories so well. Sometimes I wish that we didn't like flowers so much here it would save me money everytime I make Stacey mad. Just kidding. Since they don't let you lift anything over there I can't wait to play in basketball again now that you are going soft. Sounds like everything is going great and we are all praying for you.

Troy, Stacey, Abbey, Austin

 
At Thu Dec 01, 01:05:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NTG

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!!

We wish you much love and joy.

UB, AS, Hannah and Shannon

 
At Thu Dec 01, 03:18:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Nate....
Have a Happy Birthday...We hope you have an extra fun time today <:-}

Wishing you the best - and hoping that the move is without event...Did you get to play Hey Cow along the way :-?

Best of luck and our prayers are with you as you adjust in the new area and meet all of the new people. May they be open, friendly, and enriched by your teachings.

Love from all....^^ M & D

 
At Thu Dec 01, 11:15:00 AM EST, Blogger amy said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY NATE!!!!!
I was thinking about our trip to GR one Christmas where we stopped in Fowlerville for chili and then got stuck in my driveway! Good times....miss you! Hope you have a wonderful day! Love & prayers...

 
At Thu Dec 01, 03:14:00 PM EST, Blogger A. Victoria said...

Those were all enjoyable stories. Thank you for sharing them. The smells I remember being very distinct and all around me, all the time. I started noticing the orange blossoms, spices, food, and other smells because they were not the norm. The bike is fascinating, I had no idea you could put that many people on a bike at one time. The cleanliness, I also vividly remember, you would take a shower, step outside and wonder why you had bothered. Though the feeling of being clean for just a few minutes was wonderful. :)The child playing the drum, hmmm, it is not fair that they have such rhythm with out even trying. It is fun to hear though, and I am glad that someone has that kind of rhythm. :) The hospitals never left me with a feeling of ease. I am glad that they have them, but I would not want to go to them personally. The driving sounds like a blast. Do you get to do a lot of driving? I can only imagine how much fun that must be. :)

I noticed that you had said something about the time there being a little bit more flexible, in one of your other post. lol. No joke. The group I was with got to where we would call the time schedule "Africa Time". We were supposed to go to a service at 4:30ish one evening, and at almost 5:30 our driver finally showed up. We learned very quickly, they do things on their own time tables.

Thanks for sharing and I pray everything is going well.

 
At Sun Dec 04, 08:00:00 AM EST, Blogger nate & jenni said...

Thank you all for your comments, well-wishes and prayers. The move went well and I had a great b-day. Got the phone installed and I have a decent connection for an hour or two each day, so it may not be as bad as I had feared. A couple responses:

AS – we don’t go to those “traditional healers” because they’re often times the same people who sacrifice animals and put curses on people… we try to avoid that association.

Mom & Joey – you guys say that the rhythm isn’t worth the pain, but you haven’t seen the way these people can move. I’d be the life of every party if I could move like that :-)

Troy – yeah, you’d definitely benefit from the no flowers system with all the trouble you get into with Stacey, but if I start drinking the water here you’re going to have a hard time dealing with my moves on the b-ball court, so don’t get your hopes up…

Amy – if you won’t go to Zingermanns, at least stop in Fowlerville for some chili sometime with Phil. He’s got to like chili or he’s not an American.

Ashley – I totally agree about the showers. I’ve found that if I shower right before going to sleep (assuming I have water at that time), I can fall asleep feeling clean at least. And yeah, I’m going to have to watch myself when I get back to the states with all the driving habits I’m picking up here…

Thank you all, and I hope to post again before too long-

 
At Sun Dec 04, 03:55:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NTG
So happy to hear from you so soon and that the move went well. Glad you had a great b-day. We saw the Stones and all I can say is the old, white guys can rock...so there's still hope for you!
I agree it is best to stay away from the "traditional healers" , although what you described sounds like parts of Louisiana I've visited.......Just stay healthy.
We went to a party at Kevin and Nancy's to celebrate Kevin's birthday and we missed you. I think UB, Kevin and Mark remembered your b-day also!

The girls had their last soccer game on the 3rd and got a trophy.
I'll send some pictures in the mail. Do you have a new address?

Keep working on your dance moves.
You have 18 months...we should see some kind of improvement :))) I'm trying to picture a blonde hair, blue eyed guy from Lowell shaken' it to the drum beat....maybe you could teach the children the Hokey-Pokey....or the Chicken....or the Stomp, show them some of your American moves. It could bring a few smiles!!!!
It sounds like you're doing well, and we pray that your new village adopts you as one of their own.

Take care, stay healthy, we miss you and you're in our prayers.

Love,
AS

 
At Fri Dec 09, 05:06:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading your comments. I could totally relate to some of them... like "Africa clean". I had to learn right a way that there is no point in washing widows or dusting furniture - just as you said, some battles are not worth fighting. and wearing white cloth (especially white socks) - not a good idea either...

That's so cool that you get to drive there... I miss driving here, but there is NO way i would ever drive here in Egypt. With thousands of cars (each of them having mind of their own), donkey carts, trolley, taxis and buses (that stop whenever they want and wherever they like), and hundreds of people trying to cross the streets – hmmm, I don’t think I am that brave yet. I got in a car accident couple weeks ago, and right now I am even more cautious then when I first came here.

After reading your comment about flowers I decided to ask my local friends about it. Unlike Mozambicans, Egyptians have a lot of plants in their houses. Plants and flowers are actually the only decoration that they have, since they are not allowed to have any kind of pictures (Islam forbids to make any images of anything that God created). However, my friend told me that people never give flowers to each others as a gift, simply because, as you said, you cannot eat it or do anything else useful with it. And if the person is poor, he/she would be insulted if you would give him/her flowers as a gift.

Smells… Muslims are not allowed to use perfume, cologne, deodorant, anything that attracts attention… so I can truly relate to that. … and by now I got into a habit of caring with me a pack of gums which I generously offer to some of my local friends

Well, I can go on and on about living in the third world countries, but there is a special beauty in all of it…

Happy very belated Birthday…

DV

PS Thanks for participating in our little debates… Your comments are always welcomed

 
At Wed Dec 14, 08:41:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NTG,

Had a rainy day with lots of flooding, so I stayed in and made my Christmas candy. I missed my taster and the "eater of my mistakes".

Thinking of you!
AS

 
At Tue Dec 20, 04:05:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nate-
We continually pray for you, and think of you. Know you are greatly missed here- the kids ask of you often!
Just wanted to wish you a very merry CHRISTMAS, and a new year filled with blessings!
I will attempt to email you a Christmas picture of the kids to your yahoo address soon.
Well, I have to go do some last minute shopping...
We love you,
Stacey, Austin and Abbey, & Troy, too!

 
At Tue Dec 20, 09:10:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NTG

Merry Christmas and we pray for a peaceful New Year!! We are headed to the frozen north to spread some southern cheer. The girls are thrilled to spend time with their Michigan families. We of course will miss you but will think of you often. The girls will make a snow angel in your honor.

You are in our thoughts and prayers. I hope you are getting settled in your new community and I hope your new friends welcome you and make you one of their own.

We miss you!!
Love,
AS, UB, Hannah and Shannon (and Sage)

 
At Sat Dec 24, 11:06:00 PM EST, Blogger amy said...

Merry Christmas Nate! Missing you!!!!

 
At Sun Dec 25, 01:32:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas
I tried to stop reading the stories and save some for a later time but I couldn't. They were all very interesting. Sounds like you are having a great time over there. I will bee looking forward to hearing more.
Dustin

 
At Sun Dec 25, 11:08:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NTG

We wish you a Merry Christmas and we are praying for you. We have made the trip to Michigan and will celebrate the family Christmas on New Years Eve day. On Monday we have family bowling. UD,Grandpa, Grandma, UB, Hannah & Shannon & Sage say Merry Christmas!!!
I hope you had a great day. We miss you and are thinking of you.


Love,
AS

 
At Mon Dec 26, 02:06:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found myself playing my Christmas music a little bit louder, and more this year, all the while thinking of you and hoping you were finding ways to teach the people there some of your favorite songs. I hope you had a very Merry Christmas. Unfortunately Texas didn't get snow this year, but at least I have had one white Christmas in my life. I am sure I will have many more once we are in Nebraska. Keep safe. You remain in my thoughts and prayers, and close to my heart always.
Courtney

 
At Tue Dec 27, 12:21:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NTG
We had a great time at the family bowling at the Lowell Lanes. I got a 'Nate' update from your mom and sisters and I understand you're headed to Joburg. How wonderful!!
I have a question...when you are in Joburg, is there any way we could send pkgs there? Maybe to someone's house,or business, addressed to you?
Just trying to think of ways we might be assured you'll get the pkgs. Please check on this for us. Thanks!
UB, and girls and I are staying at Grandpa and Grandmas for a few days. We woke up and looked out the slider and there was a light snow falling down and six deer walking through the field. It was so beautiful, it takes your breath away. (I still have a little country in me). We miss you and hope you have safe travels. Have a blast in Joburg and maybe a hot shower!!!

Take care, love,
AS from Bennett Rd

 
At Thu Dec 29, 08:53:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nate

i LOVE you
i mss youur fase

Love
shannon

 
At Fri Dec 30, 11:36:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Holidays, Nate!!
It was great talking your ear off on Christmas morning (I guess it was Christmas night for you)! Hopefully the tea and cake was good, and you didn't eat toooo much to be miserable. We were glad to hear that you all cooked up a big meal for the day and shared the time together:-}
We were able to visit with uncles and aunts- they are all doing well. Grandpa played pool with DT, since both couldn't bowl very well...everyone enjoyed the time and we thought of you & missed you much:-}
We hope your trip is going well, that you can enjoy the time in Joburg...and that you don't have to fit 25+ people in each vehicle:)
Have a safe journey!
Love & Prayers for a year filled with good progress in your mission work, great health each day, safe journeys to all areas you travel, much acceptance & encouragement from all those you meet.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
Love from all of us to you!
^^M,D & Co
V

 
At Sat Dec 31, 06:17:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nate,

Happy New Year!

We wish you all the best in 2006!

Love,
AS, UB, Hannah and Shannon

 
At Mon Jan 02, 04:43:00 AM EST, Blogger nate & jenni said...

Thanks guys-
I can check my comments from time to time and you always encourage me through them. I'll try to get another post up soon. I had a great Christmas (did some Christmas caroling in Portuguese, but it wasn't quite the same) and a good new year in Joburg. Love you all-

 
At Thu Feb 02, 05:25:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HELLO NATE!
It is your long lost sister! I loved reading your little stories, some of them are so funny! I especially enjoyed the one where you said people there would be insulted if you gave them flowers-and that they would prefer potatoes. Hahaha. I also rather enjoyed being reminded of your clumsy self when you talked about falling down in the middle of the street off that bike! I just picture you making your funny facial expressions in silence as you tumble to the ground. :-) Ahh yesss, it is great to hear about how different our cultures are.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home